Do you fill swimming pools?
In order to provide fast and efficient emergency services to the residents of Douglass Township and neighboring communities, we do not offer pool filling services.
Do you have a banquet hall facility available for rent?
We are no longer able to offer banquet facilities for rent.
Stay as calm as possible and let the dispatcher ask the questions:
When I am driving and I see an emergency vehicle with lights and sirens on, what should I do?
When you notice an approaching emergency vehicle, IMMEDIATELY pull to the right and stop. If you are approaching an intersection and see an emergency vehicle that is approaching the intersection from behind you or another direction, come to a stop preferably one or two car lengths back from the intersection.
How many smoke alarms do I need in my home?
One smoke alarm is not enough for the average home. You should have at least one smoke alarm in every bedroom, and in the hallway outside each bedroom. A typical 3-bedroom home would need at least 4 properly installed smoke alarms to provide a reasonable amount of protection for your family.
How do I check my smoke alarm?
Press and hold the test button on your smoke alarm for a few seconds. If it is working correctly, the alarm will sound and will automatically stop when you release the button. Remember to test your smoke detector monthly, and change the batteries at least once a year. If your smoke detector is over 10 years old it needs to be replaced with a new unit. If you hear your smoke detector making a chirping sound, replace the battery as soon as possible.
Can I burn my yard waste or trash?
Douglass Township does not permit open burning and is governed by Ordinance
2004-06. Please contact Douglass Township ( 610-367-6062) for further information.
How can I get a copy of a fire incident report?
You can arrange to receive an incident report by calling Gilbertsville Fire and Rescue at 610-367-0277 or requesting an incident report by mail. There is a fee to acquire a report of $50.00 for each report.
Do you pump basements?
Gilbertsville Fire and Rescue Company is prohibited by Township Resolution from pumping basements or discharging water from a structure. We recommend contacting a certified plumber to provide this service to our residents.
How do I dispose of a used or discharged fire extinguisher?
If It’s Empty:
• Squeeze the Lever above the Handle: This will ensure that all contents are discharged.
• Remove the Head so that the recycler knows the container is empty.
• Recycle the Steel Body: Once the head is removed, the container can be sent to a metals recycler.
If It Is Not Empty:
The casing is usually made out of steel or aluminum and can be recycled. Recyclers will not accept containers that are not empty so you have to discharge all contents first.
When emptying the container for disposal:
• Discharge outside, away from children or pets
• For safety, wear goggles and a particulate mask when discharging extinguisher
• Pull the pin on the extinguisher – this unlocks the operating lever
• Squeeze the lever above the handle to discharge contents
• Aim low and discharge contents into a bucket or another container
• After you have finished discharging the contents and nothing else comes out, remove the head from the container – this will let the recycler know that the extinguisher is empty.
Fire extinguishers can be taken to the Douglass Township Recycling Center for proper recycling and disposal.